Friday, October 17, 2008

The things you learn

I've learned some interesting things recently. 
 
1.) The word "sarcastic" is difficult to explain in Chinese.  Seriously.  Try it.  It's hard to do.
 
2.) The Manchu people do not eat dog.  This surprises me to some extent because I've been impressed with the number of restaurants around here that have dog meat on the menu.  A lot more than I remember seeing in Beijing.  But historically Shenyang is a Manchurian city, so obviously there are a lot of Manchus.  Why do Manchus not eat dog, you ask?  Good question.  The story goes that Nurhaci, the founding father of the Manchu state (reigning from 1616-1626), was once saved by a dog from drowning in a river.  Don't ask me why Nurhaci was drowning in the river in the first place, or why the dog was there.  I'm just sharing the story I've heard.  But Manchus don't eat dog.  So don't ever serve dog meat if you invite a Manchurian over for dinner.
 
3.) Chinese men are not legally allowed to marry until the age of 22; women can marry at 20.
 
4.) You don't actually have to be a good singer or be a model to be treated like a celebrity.  You just have to be a white native-English speaker in a place like China.  No joke: I had an educated, grown Chinese man ask me the other day for my signature. 
 
5.) Guanxi (relationship) is really convenient in China.  Okay, I didn't just learn this recently, but it's been confirmed once again.  My new favorite restaurant is one just outside our school gate where the family knows me.  They know I don't like meat all that much, so whatever I order they make without meat for me. 

No comments: