Friday, October 31, 2008

The bizarre things are always the most fun

After several boring hours of Chinese class (okay, come on, talking about statistics on old people is boring in any language), I had my first real chance to "hang out": in Chinese.  And it was awesome!  I'm tutoring a girl who is moving to Canada at the end of December but who speaks very little English.  It's been a bit of a challenge on the one hand, but quite an opportunity for me since I have to use a lot of Chinese to be understood.  One of her favorite activities, like any high school girl, is shopping, so when I mentioned that I will need to buy some warm things for winter, she was eager to help.  So this afternoon, she took me to a famous shopping area in Shenyang.  But since it's significantly easier for us to communicate in Chinese than in English, I got to spend the entire time practicing my language skills! 

The shopping itself was fun.  Basically, we went to Shenyang's version of a mall.  But if you are thinking in terms of a mall in the U.S. or Canada, scratch that and try again.  It's more like a market than a mall, but it's more like a mall than the actual markets around here.  Yeah, maybe that made sense.  I managed to avoid spending too much money, but I did buy some good mittens and a hat made from rabbit hair. 

After the shopping, we decided to go get my hair cut.  For any of you who have been in an Asian country before, you might have some idea of what it might be like to be a blond and get your hair cut in an Asian salon.  My hair doesn't function like most Chinese girls' hair.  But it turned out fine, considering how terrible it could have been.  Actually, I don't know yet how I feel about it.  The only people who have seen me so far have all been Chinese, so they all liked it.  It's definitely a Chinese style.  We'll see what my African, Flemish, and sole American friend say about it. 

So today is Halloween.  It's been interesting answering curiosity-driven questions today about this strange American holiday.  But I'm most entertained by the fact that the two Americans and the one Canadian are all not doing anything for Halloween tonight, but all the Belgians are dressing up and going out.  They don't even celebrate Halloween in their country!  But whatever.  I decided the money to buy a costume and the 200 kuai (about $35) entrance fee to the nightclub having the party was not worth it to just go see a lot of drunk people in strange outfits. 

Instead of the party?  Yes, this is entertaining.  I am sitting alone outside on a dark and cold Halloween night at a random cement table at a random location on campus.  Why?  Because surprisingly enough, at this random cement table at a random location on campus I can actually get wireless internet!  So I decided to bundle up and sit outside to use my own computer tonight than go pay to use a public computer inside somewhere.  It may or may not have been a good choice, but it's entertaining nonetheless. 


No comments: