Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Diplomatic experience comes in all forms

Interesting experience yesterday.  We had our first joint fellowship of the semester, where all the student fellowships from the various schools come together instead of meeting separately.  The last week of the month we meet jointly instead of on our own campuses.  I was really surprised yesterday to find out that there are more than 50 people who attend these various groups! 
 
I spend a lot of time with a certain couple here at LiaoDa, also foreigners, from a European country.  The guy grew up within the RCC tradition, simply because of the country he's from, but neither he nor his parents are particularly commited to it.  The girl is ethnically Chinese, but born and raised in this European country, so she does not come from that tradition at all.  Given how much time I spend with this couple, I have obviously talked about the group I meet with on Sundays and Wednesdays.  To my surprise, the guy asked me yesterday if he would be allowed to join us. 
 
Even more surprising was that he managed to convince his girlfriend, who has no interest in it, to join us as well.  Obviously I was excited to have them go with me, and eager to see their reactions. 
 
What I didn't expect was how the meeting was went.  It turned into a 3 hour activity, with dinner after that.  Nothing about it was even remotely like what I am used to.  We sang some songs, none of which I knew, and most of which we repeated ad nauseum as one girl led.  Someone spoke for a bit, which was fine although I only agreed with part of what she said.  Then we had a time for people to make new or renewed commitments, which is not typically a part of my experience.  There was also some intercessory work going on, which included people on the ground and some strange sounds.  Clearly, I was a bit out of my comfort zone for most of the night.
 
So were my friends.
 
Afterwards, we had to taxi back to our own school.  I was in a taxi with the couple and one of the African guys.  It was a bit awkward when the European guy started asking me about my thoughts on the evening, because I knew he and the African guy were coming from very different perspectives. 
 
How do I diplomatically navigate such a situation?  The couple was very uncomfortable all evening and was very surprised by what went on.  The African guy, although not necessarily used to such an approach from his own tradition, was fully integrated into the activities there.  And, as it turned out, the taxi driver could apparently understand much of what I said.  So that adds a third level to take into consideration!
 
So it was an interesting exercise, to try to express myself clearly without offending or distancing anyone by my perspective.  Especially since so much of my reaction to the evening was yet unclear to even myself. 

No comments: